Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2013

EU Topics

                                       EU TOPICS


As Hendrik asked us to, this post will be on several of my ideas for an academic paper on the EU.
After having a talk with two of my best friends on the EU, its functions as well as on its advantages and drawbacks, there were several questions that I asked myself and that I became curious about. Here a list of some topics that developed from these questions.

Prerequisites for EU membership
Even after Croatia has finally joined the EU in 2013, there is still a waiting list for countries wanting to join the European Union. Even though I know of several reasons as to why e.g. Turkey could, up to now, not join the EU, I would be interested in getting to know the exact requirements a county has to fulfill in order to become a member state.

Policy on asylum
My initial shock about the results of the last election was followed by immediate interest in the EU’s policy on asylum. Who exactly can ask seek asylum? Which countries accept the largest number of immigrants/refugees? Are there any common law and policies on asylum? And why?

Requirements for becoming an official EU language
So there are 28 official languages in the EU and all official documents have to be translated and interpreted in each of these languages. Gaelic is one of those previously mentioned official languages but other languages, even if spoken by a larger group of people, have not become official EU languages. What exactly are the requirements a language needs to fulfill in order to become an official language in the EU? I asked myself that question while talking to my friends about working as a translator for the EU.

Weird EU Laws
The EU is worldwide known for some of its strange laws, including the banning of curved cucumbers. As I was reading through some of these strange laws I suddenly though "Hey, that does not only seem interesting, but also funny". So this would probably be one of the topics I am interested in. Not only knowing what laws exist but also why the EU thinks of them as useful or even necessary.

Reason for monetary unification in the EU
When asked about fast facts on the EU most students answered that a characteristic of the EU is its monetary unification. Most EU countries use the euro, but there are several exceptions. Why do some of the member states refuse to use the euro? And what is the use of monetary unification anyways? We no longer need to exchange money when we travel inside the EU (except for certain countries and even in those the euro is accepted in many places) but at the same time everybody complains about the euro causing our goods to become more expensive. 

2 Kommentare:

  1. For me your last title (Reason for monetary unification in the EU) sounds really interesting as I was thinking about the same. Also the requirements for becoming an official EU language is a really relevant topic for us, as we study languages, so.... And I am really sorry that I can't help you with sources... : /

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hey Kristina!
    I just read your blog, including your topic suggestions (of course). I quite like the EU language question, even to an extend as to say that I would actually read it out of interest - I think that's a lot :D Now my question for you is: How passionate are you about your topics? I mean they sound pretty interesting but do you really "dig" them?
    See you!

    AntwortenLöschen